Dr Paul Johnston
I am a principle lecturer in marketing at Sheffield Business School responsible for designing and teaching modules and courses for both undergraduate and Masters students.
I am also actively involved in developing and delivering management development programmes for corporate clients in the private and public sectors and the supervision of Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
Currently I am the interim subject group leader for the marketing subject group
I worked in the electronic games and gambling industry for 17 years before joining Sheffield Business School where my management roles involved responsibility for competitive business strategy, strategic brand management, marketing research and new product and service development, and intellectual property development and management.
My commercial management positions have included Sales and Marketing Director for pay to play games designer and manufacturer Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Ltd., Business Development Director for computer games publisher Actualise Ltd and Corporate Development Director for pay to play games designer JPM (part of the SEGA group).
My commercial experience has involved working with a range of customers and clients from blue chips to SMEs and as a main board director I have had experience of instigating major change, organizational development, restructuring and diversification programmes, company flotation, and trade sale initiatives.
My particular management interest involves the encouragement and development of critically reflective management thinking as a basis for creative and innovative marketing management leadership and practice.
I hold a Doctorate in Business Administration where I have researched the proposing of customer value in business to business markets.
In* digital social media, networking and communities
* critical marketing thinking
* innovation and creativity
* leadership and personal effectiveness
* dynamic capability and competitive advantage
* managerial sensing and sense-making
Teaching and Management Development interests
* sustaining competitive advantage
* strategic thinking
* social influence, persuasion and change
* critical and reflective practice
Projects undertaken include
* UMBRO – marketing metrics
* P&H Snacks – distribution channel development
* Sheffield Care Trust – marketing strategy development
* Earthtech – management development
* SIG – management development
* VEN – developing persuasive and compelling sales presentations
* Ideagen – KTP
* Fletchers Bakery – achieving competitive advantage
* High Street Community Centre – charity value proposition
* Sheffield Leaders – customer centricity of multi-agency services
* competitive marketing strategies, including
o value proposition development
o strategic brand management
o service and relationship management
* marketing research
* business to business (B2B) marketing
* business to business strategic selling skills and negotiation
* innovation and creativity
* social influence, persuasion and communication
* digital social media and digital social community management